Wow who knew chocolate, avocado, and banana could taste so good. This recipe is one for the books and of course the children fond over it. And to me this bread even with all the chocolate would be considered healthy, don’t judge me. The only thing I do not like about this recipe is that it calls for overly ripe bananas and if you have kids like me bananas never stay long in the house. I never see them anymore in the grocery store.
Time: 1hour 30 minutes
1/2 Firm-Ripe Avocado Chopped
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Orange Zest
3 Ripe Bananas Mashed
1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
3/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Fine Salt
Large Pinch Ground Allspice
1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (plus 2 Tbsp for topping)
Your choice of nut (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Mash avocado and mix in egg, vanilla and zest. Chop & fold in the bananas.
3. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and allspice in a medium bowl.
4. Fold the flour mixture and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips into the avocado mixture until just combined.
5. Transfer to loaf pan and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
6. Bake until knife comes out semi clean about an 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.
A few tips…
•It is okay if the mixture is lumpy. Do not try and smooth it out, there is no need to use a mixer.
•Remember that the loaf will continue to cook once it comes out so the knife or toothpick does not have to be completely clean.
•When it comes out run the knife around the edges then let cool completely before removing it.
•Its also freshest within 3 days of cooking.
• Beware of the all spice this recipe doesn’t specify how much to use. It is very strong if you know the flavor you should be safe. If you are not familiar then less is more, a lot less.